Sunday, August 29, 2010

Procrastination

Well, the concert was awesome, first of all. I may post about it later on, since it will be a longer one if I do. But I'm putting it off for the time being, just like I unfortunately put off way too many things.

Really, I was even putting off writing this post. I knew though that I should probably get it out while I could, though, especially since I was tired from a long hike in the Minnesota River Valley this morning and wasn't sure how much energy I would have tonight. And just now, between the last sentence and this one, I took a ten minute break to start dinner and get something to drink.

Procrastination obviously affects a lot of people, and it seems to be worse for people who -- like me -- are also prone to being distracted unless we're really, really into whatever it is that we are doing. Fortunately, I find that there are ways to compensate for this. Deadlines are one good way, of course, as I discussed about a week ago on my other blog, but I don't want to retread that ground here too much.

The best way for me is just to figure out the most important task at any given time, and work on that exclusively until it is done, then the next task, then the next one. Even big projects can be tackled in this way, since a project is nothing but a bunch of small tasks put together. You don't have to build the whole house at once. If focusing on putting up a shelf -- or even just pounding in one nail -- is what it takes to get it built, then that's what it takes.

Now if you'll excuse me, there is a really cool website I have to look at before I hit "publish"...

No comments: