Sunday, September 14, 2008

Finally Getting Started

Yes, I know it has been about a month and a half since my first "test" post. I haven't forgotten about the blog; I've just been busy for a while (though that's no excuse). But now I am ready to begin in earnest.

This blog, Writer of Fortune, is dedicated to my interest in professional writing and my ongoing efforts to become a successful professional writer. I'm using a flexible definition of the term "professional writer" here -- I am basically defining it as writing for money, be it business writing, journalism, fiction writing, web writing, or something else entirely.

At this point in my career, I am focusing on technical and business writing, but professional writers need to be flexible, and skills in one type of writing are easily transferred to others, so ultimately I could end up doing just about any type of writing. Specialization is for insects, as Robert Heinlein wrote.

Obviously, then, I am going to mostly blog about writing, but I will also discuss books, websites, and other media from time to time. That said, I may go off-topic now and again if I feel the urge. It's my blog, after all. :)

I'll go into my background, and why I want to be a professional writer, in my next post. For now, hello!

No comments: