Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Social Media Experiment, and My Other Blog

Honestly, I really didn't miss Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook when I took a break from them this past weekend. I went from late Friday afternoon to late Sunday afternoon without touching them at all. I was going to try to go until Monday morning, but jumped back on Twitter briefly on Sunday before checking back into all of them on Monday.

Considering how attached I am to Twitter in particular, that was quite an accomplishment for me. I'm on it throughout the day, pretty much from when I wake up to when I go to bed, unless I'm somewhere where checking in is just not feasible. It's nice to know that I can quit if I want to, as they say. And it was definitely good to free up some of that mental space to be able to do and think about other things for a little bit.

Changing direction, I actually posted on my other blog, Hired Minds, last night. It was a very short post, as it was just a quote I am fond of and its attribution, but it was the first time I'd posted since late April, which itself was either the first or second time I'd posted all year. I started that blog after this one as a means to write about life as a temp, contractor, consultant, or whatever you want to call workers who are "hired guns" (I actually wanted to name the blog that at first, but changed my mind) who work at a company, but are not of it. For a while I was pretty good about updating it, but I stopped after a while. I think it was going permanent last year that did it; that and being much busier with schoolwork this past academic year than I was the previous year. But I have not said all that I want to on the topic, so I am making yet another go at it.

No comments: